Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Oscars Recap




The 79th Academy Awards ended with a bang and with a few whimpers which came from watching a number of favorites get taken down during the ceremony — Alan Arkin instead of Eddie Murphy for Best Supporting Actor; the wonderful sounds of Happy Feet for Best Animated Feature instead of the screeching tires of Pixar's Cars; Melissa Etheridge's ''I Need to Wake Up'' putting three nominated songs from Dreamgirls to sleep. Expected winners came through at the end with wins for Helen Mirren (The Queen), Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland), and Martin Scorsese (The Departed). Then, the unpredictability returned mildly with The Departed winning Best Picture in a race that had no clear favorite. The Departed led the night with four total awards. Other multiple winners included Pan's Labyrinth with three, and Little Miss Sunshine, Dreamgirls, and An Inconvenient Truth, each with two.

For the most part, I was pretty happy with the Oscar results. I was ecstatic when JHud won - if you have seen Dreamgirls and were mesmerized by her solo performance of "And I'm Not Going" as I was, then you know she deserved to take that statuette home. I got goosebumps watching that woman sing her heart out. As a fan of Little Miss Sunshine, I was very pleased to see it take home Best Original Screenplay but as an even bigger fan of Pan's Labryinth, I wanted to see that movie sweep the Oscars. Although it took home 3 awards, it didn't get Best Foreign Film or Original Screenplay. Scorcese deserved an Oscar finally but the Departed was not his best. The Departed was more hype than anything else. I was expecting to be completely captured and affected by this film and I wasn't. To me, it was a poor man's Goodfellas. No surprise for Mirren and Whitaker. Those performances were in another league altogether. Big shocker for Eddie Murphy not getting the award. Usually, if you win the Golden Globe and all the other acting awards, you're pretty much guaranteed the Oscar. But, that's what makes us come back for more when it comes to this show - the unpredictability.

No comments: